Love Announcements

On this Mother’s Day weekend, may it be what you want it to be, whether that is brunch, flowers, and gifts -or hiding out at home, taking a bath, and buying stuff online until it’s over. 🙂 ha. On my end, I sometimes treat myself to something. Because it just seems like I can get away with it. And today, that will be a facial. My neighbor does natural facials with homemade treatments, and it’s really such a treat.

As for Mother’s Day in Ecuador, they serenade mothers all night long in front of every mother’s house – and that includes playing very loud music and lighting fireworks. Most certainly we’ll hear quite a bit of it all through the night!

Here are a few Love Announcements I hope you’ll enjoy:

-I give you my *highest recommendation* to watch the movie, Lion. It is a riveting true story of childhood, brotherhood, motherhood, and adoption. I’m still stunned by it. It will leave you breathless, and perhaps weeping, and hugging your loved ones, and just overall amazed. It would be so lovely to watch it this weekend. (watch via Amazon Prime or iTunes.)

-For Mother’s Day weekend, read: The Birth of a Mother, about the woman’s identity transition of becoming a mother. This topic isn’t spoken of enough! A lot of my friends resonated with this. NY Times.

-My talented copywriter friend, Koseli, is working at Tubby Todd Bath Co. I hadn’t heard of them before, but they are a super delightful toiletries brand for kids and moms. And the products are made with 100% natural ingredients. So nice!

-This bag, below, is coming to you SOON. We are working out logistics for getting our goods shipped to the States. I continue to get compliments from Ecuadorian women every time I carry it around town. 🙂-One of our Body+Soul Camp alumni sent us this: “I was driving back to LA from SF this weekend and I was listening to True Self, False Self, by Richard Rohr. Knowing you both, you probably have heard it already, but if not – YOU NEED IT! It’s an audiobook that I’ve been listening to through Audible. Here is a link to it. It was so, so, so good regarding religion and spirituality. It just nailed it on the head for me. I thought of you both the whole time. It aligns so much with what you guys teach!” Thank you, Heidi Hansen!!

-Gah! A floral designer in NYC is doing Flower Flashes and turning trash cans into giant vases and filling them up with flowers!

Gather for Goats has now brought in enough money for over 200 goats (yay!). But to provide for all the Syrian families in need in this area, we need about 578 more goats. Lifting Hands International is on the ground now making arrangements for the goat deliveries. If you could spare a bit or spread the word, donations of all amounts are still very much needed! It would be a lovely last minute Mother’s Day gift for someone who wants to do more for refugees. Let’s keep this going!

And, mother or not, what will you be doing this weekend? I hope you have something good to look forward to!!

Sending love to you all,

Mara

Related Posts

Get The About Love Experience

8 Comments

1. Michaela LeBlanc May 12, 2017 at 2:44 pm - Reply

Everything you post and do is so thoughtful and loving. I am always uplifted reading your posts!

• Mara Kofoed May 12, 2017 at 3:49 pm - Reply

This is so nice to hear – especially as I do try to send out thoughtful and loving things. Thank you!!! XO

2. Helen McLaughlin May 12, 2017 at 3:06 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for these fantastic links, Mara. I need to know: Where are your white jeans from? They’re fabulous on you and they look like a comfortable fit (as opposed to the super skinny stuff that hurts my tummy). Would love to have details. xx

• Mara Kofoed May 12, 2017 at 3:49 pm - Reply

Oh my goodness, Helen! You will laugh: I got these jeans in perhaps 2006. They are from H&M. And they were maybe $16 or something. Not exactly eco-friendly fashion practices, but at the same time they’ve lasted so long that I guess that makes up for something. I’m guessing I’ll be wearing these for years to come. Also: I do highly, highly recommend a white jean. I find I can wear them with all kinds of things.

• Helen McLaughlin May 18, 2017 at 3:59 pm - Reply

Ahh, thanks so much for getting back to me on the fabulous white jeans, Mara! I hear you on the “eco-friendly fashion practices” (trying my darnedest to make better purchases), but I really believe you’re right—wearing them for so many years absolutely makes up for H&M’s questionable ethos and fast fashion angle (heck, your jeans aren’t even a fast fashion purchase since you’ve worn them for 10+ years). I, too, try to wear my stuff into the ground, especially the things I’ve picked up from GAP or Marshall’s. I mend them a million times over the years, but when they’re done, they’re done—and I feel as though I redeemed myself a bit through longevity. 🙂

• Mara Kofoed May 18, 2017 at 4:27 pm - Reply

Ha. You’re awesome, Helen. And oh my goodness, right now I’m totally wearing my stuff into the ground, too. We’ve really had low purchases over the last 3 years and took a very meager wardrobe to Ecuador. I mostly brought things that were kinda on their way out anyway, thinking I’d get rid of the stuff when we left. But we’ve been here a year longer than expected. So I have holes in so many things! Luckily, the Ecuadorian culture is a major REPAIR culture. They have little repair shops EVERYWHERE (my favorite chain is called “Rapido.”) Every last drop gets repaired here and consumerism is at the very low end. Though I haven’t even bothered with repairing some things as we’re hoping to head back to NYC soon. Anyway, it’s been a unique experience. And good for you for repairing away!

3. Heidi Hansen May 12, 2017 at 4:46 pm - Reply

So happy to see this!! Everyone needs to listen to that book! So glad you have the platform to spread the message. Love you both 🙂

• Mara Kofoed May 12, 2017 at 5:00 pm - Reply