The Lesson (for us all) in Launching Imperfectly

One of the greatest bits of business inspiration I’ve received (from a very successful person) is this:

“If you’re only putting PERFECTION out into the world, you’re doing it wrong.”

In other words, *put stuff out into the world imperfectly!*

Because the need for your offering to be PERFECT will only hold you back. It will delay your dream. It will prevent you from taking action. It may even lead to no action at all.

You all know what I’m talking about, right?

So whether it’s your writing, your artwork, your work proposals, your business ideas, your handmade goods, your dance moves, your applications for degrees, your invitations to potential friends or lovers….

JUST. PUT. YOURSELF. OUT. THERE!

Remind yourself that you are worthy enough as you are.

And even if you are rejected, that’s never the end of the world.

Because your worth isn’t based on other people or circumstances, anyway.

And, you can always try again.

Undoubtedly the next time will be better than the last.

Rejection and failure is a REQUIREMENT for success.

So, our site is pretty dang good, right? But want to know something? Ever since the launch, we’ve been working out some glitches, adjusting the mobile format, and reworking our About page. We even made a mistake and accidentally sent THREE of our 10-day emails in one day. oops! We also hired an editor to do grammar checks and launched without a couple of huge BRAND NEW pages that will be added very soon.

You could say I’m feeling proud of us for just going for it!!!

Anyway, I hope we can all feel brave enough to just put ourselves out there in bigger ways.

Me: I’ve got to get a handle on making more videos for you all. The biggest obstacle is I’m normally not all “put together” down in Ecuador on our work days. But I’m guessing you won’t care.

How about you? Tell me now one thing that you think you could launch IMPERFECTLY. We’ve got this!

(photo: no make-up and crazy hair from outside our knitting co-op. If all goes well, you’ll get to sport this lux alpaca sweater for fall! 🙂

Get The About Love Experience

11 Comments

1. Lia May 3, 2017 at 4:22 pm - Reply

Loved this! Thanks for sharing and the encouragement. Also, I noticed your Facebook link is broken, just thought you’d like to know 🙂

• Mara Kofoed May 3, 2017 at 4:39 pm - Reply

Lia – So glad you liked this – and thanks for writing about the FB link. ha. That’s a perfect note for the post. 🙂

2. Karlyn May 3, 2017 at 6:56 pm - Reply

It’s like you read my mind. I’ve been working on this. Moments before I saw this link I messaged my brother how I am perfectionist in crippling ways. When I don’t find what I absolutely love I settle to bridge the gap until I find what I love and end up just looking settled and feeling that way. And projects! I great at hustling about ways to hustle and research and end up not actually ever going through. Time for action!! (Ps I appreciated the whoops on the 10 day emails because sometimes I’m ready in the morning and sometimes at night so now I’m set the next couple days whether I am ready morning or night! 😉 )

• Danny Kofoed May 4, 2017 at 5:37 pm - Reply

Haha! Well, I’m glad you didn’t mind having a few extra…once those got sent, it also put a small pause until the next ones come out. So I think things will resume tonight 🙂

Something I learned some time ago regarding teaching – I could prepare my brains out for something in the effort to create perfection….which only put pressure on the actual moment of teaching. Or I could prepare, and then basically not care at all about what I thought should happen and just focus on connecting with the people in the class.

I always found the latter to be a much better experience.

I now LOVE teaching, and bring like ZERO fear into the equation, cause I’m not worried about perfection, but focus on human connection.

3. Chris May 3, 2017 at 7:11 pm - Reply

For months I have been wanting to make this video for my friend who is battling cancer but I was putting this pressure on myself to make the perfect video…artistically directed and perfectly designed. But no, that is unrealistic and she is heading into surgery tomorrow and needs to feel the love and power of her community. So that is what I am going to do. Thanks for the nudge. It doesn’t have to be perfect.

• Danny Kofoed May 4, 2017 at 5:38 pm - Reply

Yes! Chris….my comment above is meant for you too. Perfection isn’t what will matter, but the simple act of vulnerably connecting with another human being. That’s what makes all the difference.

Good Luck!

4. Sarah May 4, 2017 at 6:32 pm - Reply

Oh my goodness. I can relate to this so much. I struggle with this at work. Every. Single. Day. My desire for perfection is paralyzing. And it’s not even conscious most of the time. Its just there, always, in the wings, making me stare blankly at my computer screen wondering why I’m not getting anything done, and then scrambling to produce things at the last minute, feeling rushed and awful the entire time. And then the cycle repeats itself over and over. I know there is a better way! But yet, here I sit, writing this comment instead of working on my FY18 plan. Because its just so scary. So cheers to you for hitting publish! Even if it’s not perfect! I, for one, am a better person today because you took the courage to hit publish over and over again over the years, imperfections and all. And I thank you for that. Hopefully someday I’ll be able to put these same practices into work AT WORK 🙂

• Helen McLaughlin May 5, 2017 at 4:16 pm - Reply

Gaaah, Sarah, I feel you on the paralyzing perfectionism! A book that might help (for transformation, not for information) is Steve Chandler’s Time Warrior. It was a life-changing read for me. Please feel free to reach out for more help; I’d love to learn more about your struggle and see if there’s a place where I can help.

5. Jordana May 5, 2017 at 8:46 pm - Reply

Mara and Danny, your new site looks AMAZING!! Congrats, what an accomplishment! I’ve been loving the emails and it’s such a good reminder about everything I learned from the retreat (I can’t believe that was almost 2 years ago!). It’s made me smile just remembering how awesome that weekend was for me! It’s so cool that I feel “re-connected” with you through this new launch and I’m so excited for you guys! I’m preparing to teach a mini class on inner peace at enrichment in a couple weeks and feeling super nervous, so this was the perfect post to read. 🙂

• Mara Kofoed May 5, 2017 at 9:12 pm - Reply

You be awwwesome teaching that class. I so wish I could attend. I also love remembering that retreat weekend. ah – that was unforgettable. Sending love!

6. SarahAllenBrown May 6, 2017 at 6:45 pm - Reply

Hi Mara and Danny, So glad to have you back! I signed up for the new email series, and I already love it. Your new site is bright and amazing. Thank you for leaving your old posts. There is so much real, raw evidence of love-practice in those!! We all love a good application story, and we all love to know there is no perfect person applying these love lessons in perfected fashion. But we are trying! I am trying, and I know you are trying along with so many in this community. And we don’t have to agree 100% on stuff to be a supportive online community. The differences helps us each learn more about our individual paths and that is valuable!!

I’m launching imperfectly….a new a improved relationship with a daughter who is pre-teen and so dear but whom I allow to push all my buttons at once all the time. (See how I owned my own issues? No blame. Full accountability for all my thoughts and feelings regarding being in the trenches with this soul in my daily life.)

Here’s to imperfect trying. When I am vulnerable and intentional, I am pursuing deep joy…..