Iguacu Falls

We’re snuggled in our hotel room near Iguacu Falls.  Danny just went for a little walk to take more photos, he’s just been so excited about where we are.
Even though we had a 13 hour journey to get here (which included a red-eye and no sleep) we both just ran and squealed and oohed and ahhed like kids as soon as we saw the falls.
   We ran around on the pathways, trying to see every glimpse we could before the sun went down.   We really are in heaven in this beautiful setting.

The falls just go on and on in every direction.  It is truly one of the most spectacular things we’ve ever seen.

I’ve just appreciated traveling with Danny every single second of this trip (it’s so cute to see him in his husband mode while we’re traveling.  He carries our bags, gets us to where we need to be, handles so many arrangements, navigates like you wouldn’t believe, and can totally rock a piece of crap baby Fiat with no power steering on dirt, pot-hole ridden roads in Manaus. 🙂
Everywhere we went in Manaus, all the people that Danny knew there as a missionary asked us if we have kids.  Danny told them in Portuguese our story about infertility and the blessing it has been in our lives.  They just smiled and said, “At least you have each other.”  And I feel the same way.  I couldn’t be happier to be a little family with Danny and to be companions with him.  We have so much to be grateful for.

xo,

Mara

P.S.  I want to write up a little post about traveling with your spouse.  How is it for you guys?  Is it smooth sailing or is travel a source of challenging moments as husband and wife?  I’ll have some tips coming soon!

Follow @ablogaboutlove on Twitter & Pinterest

Related Posts

Get The About Love Experience

27 Comments

1. lexianne June 14, 2012 at 6:15 am - Reply

For me, I love travelling with my partner! His desire for adventure and cool head in stressful situations is one of the things that I looove about him.

One of the first times we travelled together, we went on a round the world trip for 3 months. Travelling can be really stressful (obviously): you're in an unfamiliar place, maybe you haven't slept, you can be lost or running late for a flight. When we got through these difficult moments smoothly (although of course we both had scared or grumpy or homesick times), having a blast, and enjoying each other's company, I thought, "yup, this is it!" <3

• mara June 21, 2012 at 4:43 am - Reply

Lexianne- that sounds awesome, if you ask me. Having a cool head in stressful situations is one of the most helpful qualities in a relationship.

2. RATCH June 14, 2012 at 6:15 am - Reply

I am so glad you are visiting iguazu, I was hoping you would. It is one the most beautiful places I've ever been to. I loved visiting the fallow with my husband too.

3. RATCH June 14, 2012 at 6:17 am - Reply

*falls* not follow 🙂

4. Stephanie June 14, 2012 at 6:41 am - Reply

Wow…so great to see all of your travel snapshots. I'm loving them!

My parents visited these Falls back in the day…I would love to see them myself. You two are lucky ducks! Keep having the time of your lives…

5. Charlotte June 14, 2012 at 8:58 am - Reply

travelling with my boyfriend is very relaxing, its the one time we dont have to worry about the house or the pets or work.. there were some stressful points on our holiday this year though, we went to paris and wanted to do so much stuff that we ended up on our feet for 15 hours a day and it was exhausting!

• mara June 21, 2012 at 4:44 am - Reply

I hear you. Traveling is funny – it sounds so carefree and glamorous but it can often be surprisingly exhausting!

6. Sandi June 14, 2012 at 1:56 pm - Reply

Travelling with my husband is SO. FUN. We haven't gone on a ton of trips together (YET!), but I think our personalities are perfect for dealing with each other while living out of suitcases 🙂 We have a blast every time.

• mara June 21, 2012 at 4:45 am - Reply

Sandi – that sounds so great – happy to hear that…

7. Lauren June 14, 2012 at 2:16 pm - Reply

My husband, Steve, is my favorite person to travel with! He is so much fun to be with and is just an all around good sport- great for when things don't go as expected! We try to go somewhere just the two of us a couple times each year, even if it's just a quick weekend somewhere close.

• mara June 21, 2012 at 4:46 am - Reply

Lauren, I so love your tradition of going somewhere together each year. I hope so much that Danny & I can pull that off when we have kids.

8. kh June 14, 2012 at 2:33 pm - Reply

aren't the falls amazing! I feel so lucky to have visited a few years ago. They're unreal!

• mara June 21, 2012 at 4:48 am - Reply

kh – – awesome!! Man, we are too lucky. I feel so spoiled that I got to see them.

9. Kathryn Ann Ferrer June 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm - Reply

foz do iguacu, BY FAR my MOST favorite place in the ENTIRE WORLD !!! breath-taking!

• mara June 21, 2012 at 4:47 am - Reply

Kathryn – – hahaha! So happy you feel the same way I do. They really are that great, aren't they….

10. Margoulette June 14, 2012 at 6:11 pm - Reply

Beautiful pictures ! The one on the boat almost looks like a painting. I look forward to your post everyday.
    My husband and I didn't get to travel as much as you guys, because of his busy schedule at work, but we've managed to go to France, my home country, a few times.Just like Danny,I was mostly in charge and we had an amazing time.
    Discovering or rediscovering places with the person you love is simply one of the best things ever.

11. Miggy June 14, 2012 at 6:25 pm - Reply

Traveling as a family can sometimes (read: often) be stressful. It's amazing how much crap is required to travel with kids… just making sure you get everything you need is a big part of the hassle/stress. However the hubs and I are taking our first kid-free trip together in over 5 years this summer! We're headed to the South Pacific and I'm over the moon excited. We are really, really, really, really looking forward to it. Hopefully you'll have some tips about smooth traveling before we leave. 🙂

• mara June 21, 2012 at 4:49 am - Reply

Miggy – – that is amazing that you guys get to go away together. Good for you. ENJOY!!!

12. Anonymous June 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm - Reply

Oh, Mara! This trip is AMAZING! Another country to add to my To Do list!

My husband and I have different travel styles. We've been together for only 3 years, so we're still navigating (ha ha!). I'd rather go to a lowkey place, stay in one hotel/B&B/etc., do some sightseeing, eat and drink, and take it easy. (Jet lag KILLS me for 3 days. I blame my sleeping disorder!) My husband would rather travel all across the globe, not sleeping, hopping from place to place to place, cramming in as much as possible, checking off as many countries as possible.

It's a challenge, but not a deal breaker. Sometimes we try something-for-everyone on one trip, sometimes we do a Me kind of trip, sometimes we do a He kind of trip! I know this conflict will end should we decide to have children, and then it's just Disney World or bust (which thrills me!!!).

I'll be interested to hear your take on traveling with your love!

13. Teresa June 15, 2012 at 8:32 am - Reply

Sooooo beautiful! I love your blog. Always makes me smile. As for traveling, if it's just me with the hubby, it's awesome & so fun. If its me & the hubby & five very young children…hahaha! I still love it, but my hubby gets very stressed out, so it's not as smooth sailing as it is with just him & I. But I think that's likely the difference for many. I love traveling with my kids. My husband, not so much. When there was just 1-2 kids, he enjoyed it more. And, I'm sure he'll enjoy it more when they're older.

• mara June 21, 2012 at 4:50 am - Reply

I seriously can hardly imagine traveling with five kids. WOW. You moms are amazing. I have no words for what you pull off…

14. Rosemary West June 15, 2012 at 2:21 pm - Reply

Traveling with my husband is great. Despite the stresses that travel can bring, we thrive on being together 24/7, even after 26 years of marriage. We don't always have exactly the same interests, but our differences are fairly minor so we can always come up with something that we both agree on. The occasional problems (lost luggage, missed connections, a sprained ankle) are challenges that we solve as a team, bringing us closer together.

• mara June 21, 2012 at 4:53 am - Reply

Rosemary – So happy to read your comment and to see that you love to be with your husband 24/7 after 26 years. That is really sweet. That will be me, too. I never get sick of being around Danny.

15. Laurie June 15, 2012 at 4:07 pm - Reply

Looks incredible! I'm so glad you had this amazing opportunity. Have safe travels home, love you!

16. Mac June 16, 2012 at 5:13 am - Reply

So fun! Is that a picture of you guys at the meeting of the waters? Isn't it so amazing?

• mara June 17, 2012 at 3:40 am - Reply

Mac – you're dead on. Yes, that's us at the meeting of the waters 🙂 Good eye!

17. Nikskie June 17, 2012 at 2:50 am - Reply